The Jetta, and other assorted thoughts
Okay, Ive had it for a full day. It's already registered and insured, so the nasty paperwork is out of the way. Now how is the car really?
First of all, it had more power than I thought. I never really opened it up on the test drive, plus I had the A/C on, so that made the power really dog it. On the freeway, it did 70-75 no problem. Not much a problem going up the big hill between my work and house either. It did about 64 or so, which is just slightly slower than the T-bird.
Handling is pretty typical, but stable. The steering mechanics will take some getting used to, especially since I've been driving rear wheel drive vehicles for the most part my entire driving life. I'm not at all used to torque oversteer.
For a small car, inside it is roomy, but it is still a small car. Again, something that will take some getting used to after having driven larger vehicles. The seat isn't all that comfortable but then neither was the T-bird at first honestly. There's no center console or armrest to lay my arm on though, which kind of sucks. But yeah, it is relatively roomy, especially the trunk! And the rear seats fold down too for extra cargo room.
I love the ventilation in this thing. Not only is the A/C ice cold, but you can really feel the breeze with the windows down and the sunroof open. It's really the next best thing to having a full convertible.
The transmission is a bit funky. It shifts a bit hard from 1st to 2nd. Thats about the only thing I've noticed there. Although when you floor it and it kicks down, it really gets the RPMs up there, which is a good thing for a small motor. I think it revved up to 5800 at one point, and it still felt like it had a little power left (redline starts at 6200).
Its in dire need of a new stereo. Possibly this weekend. The display is cracked so you can't see which station you're on, the speakers crackle when you turn the volume up, and the tape deck only plays in one channel.
Overall, a very fine car indeed. The best one I've had yet. But there is a bit of a melancholy feeling, because I absolutely *Loved* that T-bird. And maybe I'll get another one in the near future. But this VW *is* the smarter choice.
Work has been just totally fucked up this past week. Two guys are out on vacation (a father and son that both work there) and they took a cross country road trip. Problem is, their car broke down somewhere in the south, and they aren't back. We've been *incredibly* busy this week, and I'm having Vietnam-style flashbacks to the way things were before they hired the new guy to help me up front. Yeah, it's been that bad. Plus, the owner is, well, just being kind of a dick. He has his nose in *everything* lately. Maybe its because at the end of next week, he'll be on vacation, and he's still hesitant to leave us all alone.
Oh well, just more motivation for me to look for another job. Sooner than later.
First of all, it had more power than I thought. I never really opened it up on the test drive, plus I had the A/C on, so that made the power really dog it. On the freeway, it did 70-75 no problem. Not much a problem going up the big hill between my work and house either. It did about 64 or so, which is just slightly slower than the T-bird.
Handling is pretty typical, but stable. The steering mechanics will take some getting used to, especially since I've been driving rear wheel drive vehicles for the most part my entire driving life. I'm not at all used to torque oversteer.
For a small car, inside it is roomy, but it is still a small car. Again, something that will take some getting used to after having driven larger vehicles. The seat isn't all that comfortable but then neither was the T-bird at first honestly. There's no center console or armrest to lay my arm on though, which kind of sucks. But yeah, it is relatively roomy, especially the trunk! And the rear seats fold down too for extra cargo room.
I love the ventilation in this thing. Not only is the A/C ice cold, but you can really feel the breeze with the windows down and the sunroof open. It's really the next best thing to having a full convertible.
The transmission is a bit funky. It shifts a bit hard from 1st to 2nd. Thats about the only thing I've noticed there. Although when you floor it and it kicks down, it really gets the RPMs up there, which is a good thing for a small motor. I think it revved up to 5800 at one point, and it still felt like it had a little power left (redline starts at 6200).
Its in dire need of a new stereo. Possibly this weekend. The display is cracked so you can't see which station you're on, the speakers crackle when you turn the volume up, and the tape deck only plays in one channel.
Overall, a very fine car indeed. The best one I've had yet. But there is a bit of a melancholy feeling, because I absolutely *Loved* that T-bird. And maybe I'll get another one in the near future. But this VW *is* the smarter choice.
Work has been just totally fucked up this past week. Two guys are out on vacation (a father and son that both work there) and they took a cross country road trip. Problem is, their car broke down somewhere in the south, and they aren't back. We've been *incredibly* busy this week, and I'm having Vietnam-style flashbacks to the way things were before they hired the new guy to help me up front. Yeah, it's been that bad. Plus, the owner is, well, just being kind of a dick. He has his nose in *everything* lately. Maybe its because at the end of next week, he'll be on vacation, and he's still hesitant to leave us all alone.
Oh well, just more motivation for me to look for another job. Sooner than later.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home